- pertaining to or involving emotion or the emotions.
- subject to or easily affected by emotion: We are an emotional family, given to demonstrations of affection.
- appealing to the emotions: an emotional request for contributions.
- showing or revealing very strong emotions: an emotional scene in a play.
- actuated, effected, or determined by emotion rather than reason: An emotional decision is often a wrong decision.
- governed by emotion: He is in a highly emotional state of mind.
Origin of emotional
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. temperamental, effusive, demonstrative, sentimental.
2. undemonstrative, unsentimental, inexpressive.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, characteristic of, or expressive of emotion
- readily or excessively affected by emotion
- appealing to or arousing emotionan emotional piece of music
- caused, determined, or actuated by emotion rather than reasonan emotional argument
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hyper-emotional
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper