[pig-muh n-tey-shuh n]
- coloration, especially of the skin.
- Biology. coloration with or deposition of pigment.
Origin of pigmentation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- coloration in plants, animals, or man caused by the presence of pigments
- the deposition of pigment in animals, plants, or man
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hyperpigmentation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Excessive pigmentation, especially of the skin.
- Coloration of tissues by pigment.
- Deposition of pigment by cells.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.