- abnormal enlargement of a part or organ; excessive growth.
- excessive growth or accumulation of any kind.
- to affect with or undergo hypertrophy.
Origin of hypertrophy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to undergo or cause to undergo this condition
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hypertrophying
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A nontumorous enlargement of an organ or a tissue as a result of an increase in the size rather than the number of constituent cells.
- To grow or cause to grow abnormally large.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.