[hahy-poh-pi-too-i-tuh-riz-uh m, -tyoo-]
- abnormally diminished activity of the pituitary gland, especially of the anterior lobe.
- the condition produced by this, characterized by obesity, retention of adolescent traits, sterility, amenorrhea, and, in extreme cases, dwarfism.
Origin of hypopituitarism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol underactivity of the pituitary gland
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Deficient or diminished production of pituitary hormones.
- The condition resulting from a deficiency in pituitary hormone, especially growth hormone, characterized by dwarfism in children.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.