- a branch of geography that deals with the measurement and mapping of the topography of the earth above sea level.
- topographical relief, especially as represented on a map.
Origin of hypsography
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the study and mapping of the earth's topography above sea level
- topography or relief, or a map showing this
- another name for hypsometry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The scientific study of the Earth's topologic features above sea level, especially the measurement and mapping of land elevations.
- A representation or description of these features, as on a map.
- See hypsometry.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.