This castle was erected in 1610 by twenty great feudal lords to serve as a residence for Ieyasu's son.
It may leave Japan absolutely independent, as in the days of Ieyasu.
An old mossy staircase and a time-worn pavement lead to Ieyasu's tomb, before which stand two long tables.
In the afternoon a walk back of the temple of Ieyasu revealed more stone lanterns, shrines, and toriis.
There is also a long row of very large stone lanterns, presented as a tribute to the memory of the Shogun, Ieyasu.
It dates from 1601, and was built by Ieyasu of Nikko memory for his use when visiting Kyoto.
The great war drum of Ieyasu, the first of the Tokugawa shoguns, lies upon a richly decorated stand.
The tomb of Ieyasu, the first shogun, is reached by ascending two hundred stone steps.