- not patient; not accepting delay, opposition, pain, etc., with calm or patience.
- indicating lack of patience: an impatient answer.
- restless in desire or expectation; eagerly desirous.
- impatient of, intolerant of: impatient of any interruptions.
Origin of impatient
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. uneasy, unquiet. 1, 2. irritable, testy, fretful, violent, hot; curt, brusque, abrupt. 3. hasty, impetuous, precipitate, sudden.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- lacking patience; easily irritated at delay, opposition, etc
- exhibiting lack of patiencean impatient retort
- (postpositive foll by of) intolerant (of) or indignant (at)impatient of indecision
- (postpositive often foll by for) restlessly eager (for something or to do something)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for impatientness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper