- naturally inherent; innate; native: her inbred grace.
- resulting from or involved in inbreeding.
Origin of inbred
First recorded in 1585–95; past participle of inbreed
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. inborn, constitutional, instinctive.
- to breed (individuals of a closely related group) repeatedly.
- to breed within; engender.
- to engage in or undergo inbreeding.
Origin of inbreed
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for inbred
Pee-wee Herman Is an Inbred Prince Paul Reubens is great as Pee-wee Herman.12 Most Absurd ‘30 Rock’ Moments (VIDEO)
January 31, 2013
This summer, he sent a letter to investors calling the Federal Reserve a “group of inbred academics.”Who Gave $1 Million or More to Super PACs? A Daily Beast Roundup
February 1, 2012
Inbred in him was an invincible objection to be any but the first comer in a woman's heart.A Pair of Blue Eyes
But Ruth was wise enough to see that this feeling was inbred in Rebecca.Ruth Fielding At College
Alice B. Emerson
They were an inbred group, a static, balanced society in harmony with their environment.The Lani People
J. F. Bone
All this is “reason” as against inborn or inbred “instinct.”
He was full of inbred suspicions and, perhaps, of unreasonable demands.Lavengro
- produced as a result of inbreeding
- deeply ingrained; innateinbred good manners
- to breed from unions between closely related individuals, esp over several generations
- (tr) to develop within; engender
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for inbred
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Produced by inbreeding.
- Fixed in the character or disposition as if inherited; deep-seated.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.