- to institute as a cardinal.
- to institute as chief presbyter or priest in a particular church or place.
Origin of incardinate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the official acceptance by one diocese of a clergyman from another diocese
- the promotion of a clergyman to the status of a cardinal
- (tr) RC Church to transfer (a cleric) to the jurisdiction of a new bishop
C17: from Late Latin incardināre, from in- ² + cardinālis cardinal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012