- absolutely necessary, essential, or requisite: an indispensable member of the staff.
- incapable of being disregarded or neglected: an indispensable obligation.
- a person or thing that is indispensable.
Origin of indispensable
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. needed. See necessary.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for indispensably
But “a bill of rights,” he declared, is “indispensably necessary.”Patrick Henry</p>
Moses Coit Tyler
Such an exposition is at this time most indispensably needed.The Philippine Islands
Ramon Reyes Lala
No item, except such as was indispensably necessary, was granted.Thirty Years' View (Vol. I of 2)
Thomas Hart Benton
In the formation of character, it is indispensably requisite.The Gentlemen's Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politeness
Cecil B. Hartley
I asked, however, only for such things as were indispensably necessary.In the Arctic Seas
Francis Leopold McClintock
- absolutely necessary; essential
- not to be disregarded or escapedan indispensable role
- an indispensable person or thing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for indispensably
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper