- a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge.
- an investigation, as into an incident: a Congressional inquiry into the bribery charges.
- the act of inquiring or of seeking information by questioning; interrogation.
- a question; query.
Origin of inquiry
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for inquiries
Inquiries will be accepted only via Western Union telegram or rotary phone.The World’s Toughest Political Quiz
December 31, 2014
At first,” he writes, “the source was so nervous that he insisted I must make no inquiries for fear of exposing him.Murdoch on the Rocks: How a Lone Reporter Revealed the Mogul's Tabloid Terror Machine
August 25, 2014
His work finally bore fruit when Theresa May, the current home secretary, announced the formation of the inquiries Monday.Alleged U.K. Parliamentary Pedophile Ring Hushed Up for Decades
July 8, 2014
His spokeman, Donny Ferguson, has not responded to inquiries on the Congressman's whereabouts.Where Is Rep Steve Stockman?
January 21, 2014
Sowell told Mr. and Mrs. Kleinhans to direct all inquiries to Ballard.The Strange and Mysterious Death of Mrs. Jerry Lee Lewis
Richard Ben Cramer
January 11, 2014
If I can render any assistance in making these inquiries, I will.Life in London
Inquiries were made as to the health of Mr. Potts' family, and of Mr. Potts in particular.Biography of a Slave
"Make no inquiries, my dear; for I cannot answer any, even of yours," said Vivian.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
This last discovery was made by the two friends in pursuing their inquiries.Little Dorrit
I attempted to pacify her by an indefinite reply to her inquiries, but in vain.Theresa Marchmont
Mrs Charles Gore
- a request for information; a question
- an investigation, esp a formal one conducted into a matter of public concern by a body constituted for that purpose by a government, local authority, or other organization
Word Origin and History for inquiries
mid-15c., enquery, from enquere (see inquire). Respelled from mid-16c. to conform to Latin.