- unimportant, trifling, or petty: Omit the insignificant details.
- too small to be important: an insignificant sum.
- of no consequence, influence, or distinction: a minor, insignificant bureaucrat.
- without weight of character; contemptible: an insignificant fellow.
- without meaning; meaningless: insignificant sounds.
- a word, thing, or person without significance.
Origin of insignificant
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. trifling, minute, minuscule, picayune.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for insignificant
“He was an absolutely gray and insignificant personality,” says Kurnosova.Russians Plot Exiled Government in Kiev
December 16, 2014
In fact, most of the false rumors they tracked on Twitter showed low to insignificant propagation.TRAILS: The Tool That Tracks Truth and Lies On Twitter
November 18, 2014
Whatever irregularities occurred were accidental and insignificant.Honoring The Late John Doar, A Nearly Forgotten Hero Of The Civil Rights Era
November 15, 2014
And Pippa Middleton's bridesmaid dress was meant to be "insignificant."Beyonce Named Most Powerful Celebrity; Kanye West is Back at A.P.C.
The Fashion Beast Team
July 1, 2014
Maliki—no Thomas Jefferson to begin with—was not about to risk his political life over such an insignificant contingent.Blame The Obama Doctrine For Iraq
June 29, 2014
All precepts, all religions, are insignificant agencies by their side.Hetty's Strange History
That Mlle. Bernhardt should be insignificant does not much matter.My Double Life
If any man call these things foolishness, his judgement is to me insignificant.A Dish Of Orts
What is my insignificant life, when weighed against the happiness of Arvon?Imogen
No matter how slight or insignificant your eye trouble may seem.The Mayflower, January, 1905
- having little or no importance; trifling
- almost or relatively meaningless
- small or inadequatean insignificant wage
- not distinctive in character, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for insignificant
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper