- of or relating to a parent.
- proper to or characteristic of a parent: parental feelings.
- having the relation of a parent
- Genetics. pertaining to the sequence of generations preceding the filial generation, each generation being designated by a P followed by a subscript number indicating its place in the sequence.
- Informal. one's parent (often preceded by the): I'm headed for a vacation with the parentals.
Origin of parental
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to a parent or parenthood
- genetics designating the first generation in a line, which gives rise to all succeeding (filial) generations
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for inter-parental
1620s, from Latin parentalis "of parents," from parens (see parent (n.)). Related: Parentally.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a parent.
- Of or designating the generation of organisms from which hybrid offspring are produced.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.