- said, done, or characterized by a lack of a sense of responsibility: His refusal to work shows him to be completely irresponsible.
- not capable of or qualified for responsibility, as due to age, circumstances, or a mental deficiency.
- not responsible, answerable, or accountable to higher authority: irresponsible as a monarch.
- an irresponsible person.
Origin of irresponsible
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unreliable, undependable, thoughtless.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for irresponsibilities
Her old freaks, if hinted at, were considered amusing, as one of the irresponsibilities of genius.Mrs. Severn, Vol. 1 (of 3)
Mary Elizabeth Carter
Fletcher certainly "loosed the bonds of conduct and left human nature as a mere bundle of irresponsibilities," but not Beaumont.Francis Beaumont: Dramatist
Charles Mills Gayley
- not showing or done with due care for the consequences of one's actions or attitudes; reckless
- not capable of bearing responsibility
- archaic not answerable to a higher authority for one's actions
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for irresponsibilities
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper