- a city in and the capital of Veracruz, in E Mexico.
[ver-uh-krooz; Spanish be-rah-kroos]
- a state in E Mexico, on the Gulf of Mexico. 27,759 sq. mi. (71,895 sq. km). Capital: Jalapa.
- a seaport in this state: the chief port of Mexico.
Formerly Vera Cruz.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jalapa
We must hasten to our journey's end, which, for the present, is Jalapa.
But the Jalapanos say, "See Jalapa, and pray for immortality, that you may enjoy it forever."
The time allotted for my visit to Jalapa had come to a close.
The distance from Jalapa to Perote was called about thirty miles.
Neither at Jalapa nor elsewhere were there many complaints from women.
- a city in E central Mexico, capital of Veracruz State, at an altitude of 1427 m (4681 ft): resort. Pop: 525 000 (2005 est)
- a state of E Mexico, on the Gulf of Mexico: consists of a hot humid coastal strip with lagoons, rising rapidly inland to the central plateau and Sierra Madre Oriental. Capital: Jalapa. Pop: 630 000 (2005 est). Area: 72 815 sq km (28 114 sq miles)
- the chief port of Mexico, in Veracruz state on the Gulf of Mexico. Pop: 410 000 (2000 est)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012