[stan-hohp, stan-uh p]
- James, 1st Earl Stanhope,1673–1721, British soldier and statesman: prime minister 1717–18.
- Philip Dor·mer [dawr-mer] /ˈdɔr mər/. Chesterfield, 4th Earl of.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a light one-seater carriage with two or four wheels
C18: named after Fitzroy Stanhope (1787–1864), English clergyman for whom it was first built
- Charles, 3rd Earl. 1753–1816, British radical politician and scientist. His inventions included two calculating machines, a microscope lens, and a stereotyping machine
- his grandfather, James, 1st Earl. 1673–1721, British soldier and statesman; George I's chief minister (1717–21). He fought under Marlborough in the War of the Spanish Succession (1701–14) and negotiated the Triple Alliance with France and Holland (1717)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012