- Jane,1884–1950, U.S. actress and playwright.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a hood, esp a loose one
- the hooded habit of a monk
- a cover fitted to a chimney to increase ventilation and prevent draughts
- the part of a car body that supports the windscreen and the bonnet
- aeronautics another word for cowling
- to cover or provide with a cowl
- to make a monk of
Old English cugele, from Late Latin cuculla cowl, from Latin cucullus covering, cap, hood
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for jane cowl
Old English cule, from earlier cugele, from Late Latin cuculla "monk's cowl," variant of Latin cucullus "hood, cowl," of uncertain origin. Cowling is 1917 in the aircraft sense.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper