- having two faces, one looking forward, one looking backward, as the Roman deity Janus.
- having two contrasting aspects, as the alternation of mood in a capricious person.
- two-faced; deceitful.
- aware of or concerned with polarities; seeing different and contrasting aspects: a Janus-faced view of history.
- having or containing contrasting characteristics: a Janus-faced policy.
Origin of Janus-faced
First recorded in 1675–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- two-faced; hypocritical; deceitful
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012