- a close-fitting, knitted sweater or shirt.
- a plain-knit, machine-made fabric of wool, silk, nylon, rayon, etc., characteristically soft and elastic, used for garments.
- (initial capital letter) one of a breed of dairy cattle, raised originally on the island of Jersey, producing milk with a high butterfat content.
Origin of jersey
- a British island in the English Channel: the largest of the Channel Islands. 44 sq. mi. (116 sq. km). Capital: St. Helier.
- Informal. New Jersey.
Examples from the Web for jersey
Along with her husband Kevin, she owns Thirty Acres, a seasonal farm-to-table restaurant in Jersey City.High Rents Are Killing the Restaurant Capital
October 28, 2014
In 1988 he was jailed for seven months when police in Jersey found half an ounce of cocaine on board his chopper.The Secrets of Britain’s Wildest Aristocrats
October 20, 2014
Back in Jersey City, Booker is still talking in the parking lot.The Ugly Truth About Cory Booker, New Jersey’s Golden Boy
October 20, 2014
And by “stars,” I mean the casts of Jersey Boys and Spider-Man!Oscars Host Neil Patrick Harris on His Best and Worst Emcee Moments (VIDEO)
Neil Patrick Harris
October 15, 2014
But in Jersey City the fight goes on, with fabulous organ accompaniment.6 Must-Read Stories of Blondie, Spies and Riotous Feminists: The Best of The Beast
The Daily Beast
October 4, 2014
Then he came back, on the way stopping to get into his jersey.A Spirit in Prison
At last he wrote to me from the island of Jersey, where he had been cast by a storm.The Memoirs of Madame de Montespan, Complete
Madame La Marquise De Montespan
You are killed by the Jersey Eagle, you are to the world buried.The Confessions of a Caricaturist, Vol. 1 (of 2)
At any rate I think he should be brought West to help on the Jersey boom.
After the events in Jersey, you remember I left the island and came abroad.One Of Them
Charles James Lever
- a knitted garment covering the upper part of the body
- a machine-knitted slightly elastic cloth of wool, silk, nylon, etc, used for clothing
- (as modifier)a jersey suit
- a football shirt
- an island in the English Channel, the largest of the Channel Islands: forms, with two other islands, the bailiwick of Jersey; colonized from Normandy in the 11th century and still officially French-speaking; noted for finance, market gardening, dairy farming, and tourism. Capital: St Helier. Pop: 95 732 (2013 est). Area: 116 sq km (45 sq miles)
- a breed of dairy cattle producing milk with a high butterfat content, originating from the island of Jersey
Word Origin and History for jersey
1580s as a type of knitted cloth; 1842 as a breed of cattle; both from Jersey, one of the Channel Islands. Its name is said to be a corruption of Latin Caesarea, the Roman name for the island (or another near it), influenced by Old English ey "island;" but perhaps rather a Viking name (perhaps meaning "Geirr's island"). The meaning "woolen knitted close-fitting tunic," especially one worn during sporting events, is from 1836.