- the hide of a young or small beast.
- a bundle or set of such hides.
Origin of kip1
1325–75; Middle English kipp < Middle Dutch, Middle Low German kip pack (of hides); akin to Old Norse kippa bundle
- a unit of weight equal to 1000 pound (453.6 kilograms).
Origin of kip2
- a paper money and monetary unit of Laos, equal to 100 at. Abbreviation: K.
Origin of kip3
First recorded in 1950–55, kip is from the Lao word kì:p currency unit, ingot
- a place to sleep; bed.
- to sleep or nap.
Origin of kip4
1760–70, in sense “brothel”; compare Danish kippe hovel, dive, Dutch kuf dive, brothel, Middle Low German kuffe, küffe, kiffe hovel; perhaps ultimately expressive variants of the Germanic base of cove1
- Also called kip-up [kip-uhp] /ˈkɪpˌʌp/, kick-up. an acrobatic movement in which a person moves from a position lying on the back to a standing position with a vigorous swing of both legs coordinated with a launching push of the arms.
- Also kick up. to perform a kip (often followed by up).
Origin of kip5
1965–70; < German kippe edge, arm of a balance < Low German: point, edge < Latin cippus stake, post
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for kip
Kip Thorne served as an executive producer on the film and helped hash out a lot of the science.Christopher Nolan Uncut: On ‘Interstellar,’ Ben Affleck’s Batman, and the Future of Mankind
November 10, 2014
Kip Pardue What you remember him from: Playing Sunshine, the new guy with long hair in Remember the Titans.The Most Random Old TV Stars to Appear on ‘Mad Men’
May 29, 2014
Lewis played Kip “Half-Sack” Epps in the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy.‘Sons of Anarchy’ Actor Found Dead, Named Suspect in Killing of Landlady
September 28, 2012
But I'd arranged weth the Cap'n to kip away, an' to kip our chaps away.The Birthright
"Your idea is all right, Kip—corking," he asserted at length.Paul and the Printing Press
Sara Ware Bassett
But you mus' kip vay quier, my de-ah sir; as quier as can be!
Most of the rest of the property went to my young half-brother Kip.Atlantic Narratives
The term "kip" is often applied to small hides and to hides from large calves.Animal Proteins
Hugh Garner Bennett
- British sleep or slumberto get some kip
- British a bed or lodging
- Irish a brothel
- British to sleep or take a nap
- British (foll by down) to prepare for sleep
C18: of uncertain origin; apparently related to Danish kippe common alehouse
- the hide of a young animal, esp a calf or lamb
C16: from Middle Dutch kipp; related to Middle Low German kip, Old Norse kippa bundle
- a unit of weight equal to one thousand pounds
C20: from ki (lo) 1 + p (ound)²
- the standard monetary unit of Laos, divided into 100 at
- Australian a small board used to spin the coins in two-up
C19: from kep
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012