- a silver and cupronickel coin and monetary unit of Sweden, equal to 100 öre. Abbreviation: Kr., kr.
- the monetary unit of the Faeroe Islands, equal to 100 öre. Abbreviation: Kr., kr.
Origin of krona
1870–75; < Swedish < Medieval Latin corōna; see króna
- a nickel-brass or aluminum coin and monetary unit of Iceland, equal to 100 aurar. Abbreviation: Kr., kr.
Origin of króna
1885–90; < Icelandic < Medieval Latin corōna gold coin (so called because it bore the imprint of a crown); see crown
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for krona
The Icelandic kroner was introduced in 1922 at parity with the Danish krona and has since then lost 95.95% of its value.How Well is Iceland Doing?
January 22, 2013
Admittedly, saying the awful U.S. dollar isn't as lethal as, say, the busted Icelandic krona isn't saying much.Why the Dollar Surge Won't Last
October 29, 2008
The only rejoicing to be found was in expat hangouts, where dollars, recently worth 70 krona, were suddenly worth 150.No One’s Eating Apple Pie Anymore
October 28, 2008
At the beginning of the autumn term he arrived in Upsala hungry and with one krona in his pocket.August Strindberg, the Spirit of Revolt
L. (Lizzy) Lind-af-Hageby
- the standard monetary unit of Sweden, divided into 100 öre
- the standard monetary unit of Iceland, divided into 100 aurar
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012