- formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
- a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.
- permission to do or not to do something.
- intentional deviation from rule, convention, or fact, as for the sake of literary or artistic effect: poetic license.
- exceptional freedom allowed in a special situation.
- excessive or undue freedom or liberty.
- the legal right to use a patent owned by another.
- to grant authoritative permission or license to.
Origin of license
Examples from the Web for licensed
Spanning more than 150 years, the exhibit exhaustively distinguishes designer pieces from licensed copies, adaptations, and fakes.The Big Business of Fashion Counterfeits
December 24, 2014
However, the act that gives blanket immunity seems only to apply to licensed dealers.Victim’s Parents Sue Merchants of the Aurora Massacre
September 17, 2014
In the late 1990s a vaccine called RotaShield was licensed in the United States.The $1 Billion Reason to Vaccinate
June 12, 2014
As with all self-experiments, readers will need to judge what works best for themselves—and with a licensed physician.How to Use Your Lunch Hour for Better Productivity, Without Ever Taking a Bite
April 23, 2014
It would have had to have proper accounting and people with financials skills to get licensed.Inside Japan’s Bitcoin Heist
February 28, 2014
In 1854, he was licensed to preach the Gospel, by the church with which he was connected.Cleveland Past and Present
It does not require a professional beggar or a licensed guide to identify him.The American Mind
Which they're licensed to go 103 bombardin' each other ontil the goin' down of the sun.Faro Nell and Her Friends
Alfred Henry Lewis
They are licensed to practice medicine, dentistry and pharmaceutics.
When the play was finished I was informed that it had to be licensed for performance.Notes on Life and Letters
- to grant or give a licence for (something, such as the sale of alcohol)
- to give permission to or for
Word Origin and History for licensed
see licence. Related: Licensed; licensing.