- the state of being likely or probable; probability.
- a probability or chance of something: There is a strong likelihood of his being elected.
- Archaic. indication of a favorable end; promise.
Origin of likelihood
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for likeliness
But for likeliness it is referred rather to the father than to the mother.
Our ignorance is so abysmal that our judgments of likeliness and unlikeliness of future events hardly count.The Concept of Nature
Alfred North Whitehead
- the condition of being likely or probable; probability
- something that is probable
- statistics the probability of a given sample being randomly drawn regarded as a function of the parameters of the population. The likelihood ratio is the ratio of this to the maximized likelihoodSee also maximum likelihood
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for likeliness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper