- affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
- destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
- lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
- remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
- standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.
Origin of lonely
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
4. uninhabited, unpopulated. 5. secluded.
1. See alone.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lonelier
He describes himself as “lonelier, but wiser, with a bit of rage in me.”Meet Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, aka L. Jinny, the Ali G of Evil
August 26, 2014
I do not want to be lonely all my life,” she writes, “but people only make us lonelier by reminding us of God.Flannery O’Connor’s Desire for God
November 13, 2013
“We have never been more detached from one another, or lonelier,” writer Stephen Marche argued.Camp Kivu’s Quest to Get Depressed Teens to Disconnect From Social Media
November 5, 2012
Would that my hiding-place were lonelier, so that the past might not find me!Footprints on the Sea-Shore (From "Twice Told Tales")
She leaned over me as if I had been a lonely child and she a lonelier woman.City of Endless Night
In a while she went away, and left him lonelier than before.Despair's Last Journey
David Christie Murray
Summer was over, and the Glimmerglass was lonelier than ever.Forest Neighbors
William Davenport Hulbert
There is probably no lonelier man in the parish than the constable.Change in the Village
(AKA George Bourne) George Sturt
- unhappy as a result of being without the companionship of othersa lonely man
- causing or resulting from the state of being alonea lonely existence
- isolated, unfrequented, or desolate
- without companions; solitary
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lonelier
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper