- LordJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron, 1834–1902, English historian.
- a former municipal borough in SE England, now part of the London borough of Ealing: center of Puritanism at the time of Cromwell.
- a city in NE Massachusetts.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a jacket or jerkin, originally of quilted cotton, worn under a coat of mail
- a leather jacket padded with mail
C14: from Old French auqueton, probably ultimately from Arabic alqutun the cotton
- a district of the London borough of Ealing
- John Emerich Edward Dalberg, 1st Baron. 1834–1902, English historian: a proponent of Christian liberal ethics and adviser of Gladstone
- his grandfather, Sir John Francis Edward. 1736–1811, European naval commander and statesman: admiral of Tuscany (1774–79) and Naples (1779 onwards) and chief minister of Naples (1779–1806)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012