[mag-yahr, mahg-; Hungarian mo-dyor]
- a member of the ethnic group, of the Finno-Ugric stock, that forms the predominant element of the population of Hungary.
- Hungarian(def 3).
- of or relating to the Magyars or their language; Hungarian.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for magyars
He had not had time to ascertain whether this would gratify the Magyars.
But there is something very strange in the composition of the Magyars.
The Germans threw in their lot with us, but the Magyars went against us.
Save for the officials there were practically no Magyars in Pančevo.
The news came from Gaa that the Magyars there had got the upper hand.
- plural -yars a member of the predominant ethnic group of Hungary, also found in NW Siberia
- the Hungarian language
- of or relating to the Magyars or their language
- sewing of or relating to a style of sleeve cut in one piece with the bodice
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for magyars
"a Hungarian," 1797, the people's native name. As an adjective by 1828.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper