- a person who has control or direction of an institution, business, etc., or of a part, division, or phase of it.
- a person who manages: the manager of our track team.
- a person who controls and manipulates resources and expenditures, as of a household.
- British. (formerly) a theatrical producer.
Origin of manager
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. administrator, executive, superintendent, supervisor; boss.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for managership
Now, you remember last night I offered you the managership of the mine.
John Kenyon, as you will learn by reading the letter, desires the managership of the mine.
Since I cant play the good old game alone, Ive decided to bury my disappointment in managership.Marjorie Dean, High School Junior
He had come to tell me he had got the offer of the managership of a station across the border in Riverina.The Moving Finger
Before he quitted the workshop for public life a future managership had been hinted at.From Workhouse to Westminster
- a person who directs or manages an organization, industry, shop, etc
- a person who controls the business affairs of an actor, entertainer, etc
- a person who controls the training of a sportsman or team
- a person who has a talent for managing efficiently
- law a person appointed by a court to carry on a business during receivership
- (in Britain) a member of either House of Parliament appointed to arrange a matter in which both Houses are concerned
- a computer program that organizes a resource, such as a set of files or a database
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for managership
1580s, "one who manages," agent noun from manage. Specific sense of "one who conducts a house of business or public institution" is from 1705.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper