- a member of an ancient Gnostic sect extant in Iraq.
- the Aramaic language of the Mandaean sacred books.
- of or relating to the Mandaeans.
Origin of Mandaean
1870–75; < Mandaean mandayy(ā) Gnostics (literally, the knowing ones) + -an
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a member of a Gnostic sect of Iraq
- the form of Aramaic used by this sect
- of or relating to this sect
C19: from Aramaic mandaya Gnostics, from mandā knowledge
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012