[ahr-den; French ar-den]
- Forest of, a wooded plateau region in W Europe, in NE France, SE Belgium, and Luxembourg: World War I battle 1914; World War II battle 1944–45.
- a department in NE France. 2028 sq. mi. (5255 sq. km). Capital: Mézières.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a town in NE France, on the River Meuse opposite CharlevilleSee Charleville-Mézières
- a department of NE France, in Champagne-Ardenne region. Capital: Mézières. Pop: 288 806 (2003 est). Area: 5253 sq km (2049 sq miles)
- the Ardennes a wooded plateau in SE Belgium, Luxembourg, and NE France: scene of heavy fighting in both World Wars
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012