or mi·aow, mi·aou
- the characteristic sound a cat makes.
- a spiteful or catty remark.
- to make the sound of a cat.
- to make a spiteful or catty remark.
Origin of meow
miaou or miaow miaul (mɪˈaʊl, mjaʊl)
- (intr) (of a cat) to make a characteristic crying sound
- an imitation of this sound
Word Origin and History for miaoued
representation of cat sound, 1842, earlier miaow, miau, meaw (1630s). Of imitative origin, cf. French miaou, German miauen, Persian maw, Japanese nya nya, Arabic nau-nau, and Joyce's mrkgnao. In Chinese, miau means "cat." As a verb by 1630s, meaw, also meawle. Cf. Old French miauer "to meow, caterwaul." Related: Meowed; meowing.