- a militant archangel. Dan. 10:13.
- Also called Michael I. born 1921, king of Romania 1927–30, 1940–47 (son of Carol II).
- (italics) a narrative poem (1800) by Wordsworth.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for michael
Normally, 434 members (minus Michael Grimm who resigned) would vote for Speaker.Democrats Accidentally Save Boehner From Republican Coup
Ben Jacobs, Jackie Kucinich
January 6, 2015
Michael Steinbrick, a personal trainer with New York Sports Clubs, says he can always spot a newbie.How to Survive the New Year ‘Gympocalypse’
January 6, 2015
Michael Kazin is a historian who has written a lot about the New Left.Thank Congress, Not LBJ for Great Society
Julian Zelizer, Scott Porch
January 4, 2015
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said the decline was a result of an effort to decrease gang violence.America’s 2014 Murder Capital
January 3, 2015
Thus, like Michael Corleone, Abel is a man living with a paternal figure looming over his life.The Alterna-‘Godfather’: ‘A Most Violent Year’
December 30, 2014
It's fonder she was of Michael, and would any one have thought that?Riders to the Sea
J. M. Synge
Michael and Uli had to hoe the weeds in the next field near by.
"He shall weed with Uli, and Michael can do this work," said the farmer.
He ran off with all his might, and Michael and Uli rushed after him.
"They must look to the brambles then," said brother Michael.Maid Marian
Thomas Love Peacock
- 1596–1645, tsar of Russia (1613–45); founder of the Romanov dynasty
- born 1921, king of Romania (1927–30, as part of a three-part regency; 1940–47), who relinquished the throne (1930–40) in favour of his father, Carol II. He led the coup d'état that overthrew (1944) Antonescu but was forced to abdicate (1947) by the Communists
- Saint Michael Bible one of the archangels. Feast day: Sept 29 or Nov 8
Word Origin and History for michael
masc. proper name, name of an archangel, from Late Latin Michael (source of French Michel, Spanish Miguel), from Greek Mikhael, from Hebrew Mikha-el, literally "Who is like God?"