- of or relating to a minor league.
- of little import or consequence: a painter with a minor-league talent.
Origin of minor-league
An Americanism dating back to 1945–50
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. insignificant, lesser, second-rate.
- any association of professional sports teams other than the major leagues, especially when the member teams are associated with or controlled by major-league teams, which use them as training and proving teams for promising players.
Origin of minor league
An Americanism dating back to 1880–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for minor-league
Yes, the minor-league baseball player memorably portrayed by Kevin Costner in Bull Durham.All The Wrong Reasons to Ban Gay Unions
November 7, 2014
The state of Georgia once had twenty-two minor-league towns; now it has only three.The Great Paul Hemphill Celebrates the Long Gone Birmingham Barons
March 29, 2014
O'Brien believes the major- and minor-league picture is outdated.Are Indie Presses the Minor Leagues of Publishing?
June 13, 2013
In 2010, he impersonated a minor-league pitcher to publicize a charity providing college scholarships to cancer survivors.What the Stars Hold For Your Week
Starsky + Cox
July 17, 2011
The spread in Us Weekly with some other minor-league celebrity on the beaches of St. Tropez?Wild Divorce Shakes D.C.
August 30, 2010
- US and Canadian any professional league in baseball other than a major leagueCompare major league
- (modifier) of relatively little importancethat firm is very minor league
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012