[mis-fit for 1; mis-fit, mis-fit for 2; mis-fit for 3]
- to fit badly.
- something that fits badly, as a garment that is too large or too small.
- a person who is not suited or is unable to adjust to the circumstances of his or her particular situation: a misfit in one's job.
Origin of misfit
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for misfitted
It heaves and frets beneath the artificial political map like some misfitted giant.The Outline of History: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind
Herbert George Wells
- a person not suited in behaviour or attitude to a particular social environment
- something that does not fit or fits badly
- to fail to fit or be fitted
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for misfitted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper