- having one cycle.
- Botany. arranged in a single whorl, as the parts of certain flowers.
- Chemistry. of or relating to a molecular structure containing one ring.
Origin of monocyclic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also: mononuclear (of a chemical compound) containing only one ring of atoms
- (of sepals, petals, or stamens) arranged in a single whorl
- (of a plant) having a life cycle that is completed in one year
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having a single cycle, as of activity or development.
- Having a single whorl, as certain flowers and the shells of certain invertebrates.
- Having a molecular structure with only one ring. Benzene and toluene are monocyclic molecules.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.