- the practice or condition of having only one wife at a time.
- (of a male animal) the condition of having one mate at a time.
- (in social insects) the condition of having one functioning queen in a colony.
- Botany. the condition of having one pistil.
Origin of monogyny
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the custom of having only one female sexual partner over a period of time
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012