- resembling a monument; massive or imposing.
- exceptionally great, as in quantity, quality, extent, or degree: a monumental work.
- of historical or enduring significance: a monumental victory.
- Fine Arts. having the quality of being larger than life; of heroic scale.
- of or relating to a monument or monuments.
- serving as a monument.
Origin of monumental
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. immense, colossal.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- like a monument, esp in large size, endurance, or importancea monumental work of art
- of, relating to, or being a monument
- informal (intensifier)monumental stupidity
Word Origin and History for monumentality
c.1600, "pertaining to a monument," from Late Latin monumentalis "pertaining to a monument," from monumentum (see monument). From 1650s in the loose sense of "vast, stupendous." Related: Monumentally.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper