- resembling a monument; massive or imposing.
- exceptionally great, as in quantity, quality, extent, or degree: a monumental work.
- of historical or enduring significance: a monumental victory.
- Fine Arts. having the quality of being larger than life; of heroic scale.
- of or relating to a monument or monuments.
- serving as a monument.
Origin of monumental
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for monumentally
There are monumentally successful shows that nobody in the business ever watches.Alec Baldwin & Robert Carlock On How They Made '30 Rock' So Funny
Alec Baldwin, Robert Carlock
February 1, 2013
Yet as has been true to date, the costs are monumentally high and the risks are well understood.Chaos Over New Elections Deepens Fear of a Greece Chain Reaction
May 16, 2012
What the congressman did was monumentally dumb, as he is the first to admit.Should Weiner Resign? Daily Beast Contributors Weigh In
The Daily Beast
June 7, 2011
Sending a young woman a lewd photo is not an impeachable offense, but it is monumentally bad judgment.Anthony Weiner's Junk Defense
June 1, 2011
"We were monumentally relevant to the world of wine," states Kluge.Billionaire Divorcee's Happy Ending
January 24, 2011
Although in real life the policeman is so monumentally respectable and solid, on the stage he is never anything but comic.Adventures and Enthusiasms
E. V. Lucas
Had not Heine and Byron been monumentally bored, they could never have risen to the heights of song.Their Son; The Necklace
Western Asia is monumentally eloquent of her name, and even the Behistun inscriptions of Darius have been placed to her credit.Myths & Legends of Babylonia & Assyria
The average Englishman is tremendously knowledgable about his own concerns and monumentally ignorant about all other things.Europe Revised
Irvin S. Cobb
The loss of life in the construction of this road, serious as it was, has been monumentally exaggerated.The Panama Canal
Frederic Jennings Haskin
- like a monument, esp in large size, endurance, or importancea monumental work of art
- of, relating to, or being a monument
- informal (intensifier)monumental stupidity
Word Origin and History for monumentally
c.1600, "pertaining to a monument," from Late Latin monumentalis "pertaining to a monument," from monumentum (see monument). From 1650s in the loose sense of "vast, stupendous." Related: Monumentally.