- the act of denying: He shook his head in negation of the charge.
- a denial: a negation of one's former beliefs.
- something that is without existence; nonentity.
- the absence or opposite of something that is actual, positive, or affirmative: Darkness is the negation of light.
- a negative statement, idea, concept, doctrine, etc.; a contradiction, refutation, or rebuttal: a shameless lie that demands a negation.
Origin of negation
Examples from the Web for negation
Negation: Were there any related denying stories competing for attention?TRAILS: The Tool That Tracks Truth and Lies On Twitter
November 18, 2014
“Richard Phillips: Negation of the Universe” will be on display at Dallas Contemporary through August 10, 2014.Richard Phillips Brings Rock 'n' Roll to Dallas
April 3, 2014
In order to build a Jewish nation and society, Zionists classically engaged in “negation of the Diaspora,” or shlilat hagolah.Jonathan Pollard Means Israeli-American Squabbling Instead of Israeli-Palestinian Negotiation
July 26, 2013
And always, in response to every argument, Mary shook her head in negation.
There was a masterful quality in his declaration, which seemed to ignore her negation.
Garson reflected for a few seconds, then made a gesture of negation.
Mrs Verloc simply turned her face from right to left in sign of negation.The Secret Agent
They presented no one front, for their negation was no one faith.The Formation of Christendom, Volume VI
Thomas W. (Thomas William) Allies
- the opposite or absence of something
- a negative thing or condition
- the act or an instance of negating
- the operator that forms one sentence from another and corresponds to the English not
- a sentence so formed. It is usually written –p, ~p, ̄p or ⇁ p, where p is the given sentence, and is false when the given sentence is true, and true when it is false
Word Origin and History for negation
early 15c., from Old French negacion (12c.) and directly from Latin negationem (nominative negatio) "denial," noun of action from past participle stem of negare "deny, say no" (see deny).
- A denial, contradiction, or negative statement.