- near-earth object.
- a combining form meaning “new,” “recent,” “revived,” “modified,” used in the formation of compound words: neo-Darwinism; Neolithic; neoorthodoxy; neophyte.
- Chemistry. a combining form used in the names of isomers having a carbon atom attached to four carbon atoms: neoarsphenamine.
Origin of neo-
Examples from the Web for neo
Now she just wants the neo homeless to get back under a roof before they become acclimated to destitution.A Dickensian Christmas For Greece’s New Poor
Barbie Latza Nadeau
December 22, 2013
No word yet if her on-again-off-again boyfriend, Justin Bieber (who is also an NEO ambassador) will be at the show as well.Anna Wintour’s Boyfriend in Hot Water with IRS, Juicy Couture Founders Ink Book Deal
The Fashion Beast Team
January 29, 2013
That last night, Anton proudly showed me a picture of Neo, then 7, just before he Skyped with Penny and the kids.A Christie’s Benefit for Slain Photojournalist Anton Hammerl’s Family
May 13, 2012
It was in the Neo valley that the supreme efforts of the earthquake were manifested.
Remembering Neo's suggestion, I took also two other bottles of rum.
Hypatia started, as at a new thought, and confessed—as every Neo—Platonist would have done—that she had never done so.Hypatia
A few miles after entering the Neo valley, the throw of the fault reaches its maximum at Midori.
“He got litt'ee broomee, an' sweep paint out litt'ee pipe on thing make ship's sails,” Neo explained.
sometimes before a vowel ne-
- (sometimes capital) new, recent, or a new or modern form or developmentneoclassicism; neocolonialism
- (usually capital) the most recent subdivision of a geological periodNeogene
Word Origin and History for neo
word-forming element meaning "new, recent," used in a seemingly endless number of adjectives and nouns, mostly coined since c.1880, from Greek neo-, comb. form of neos "new, young, youthful; fresh, strange; lately, just now," from PIE root *newo- (see new).
- New; recent:neonatal.
- New and different:Neo-Freudian.
- New and abnormal:neoplasm.