- a cardinal number, ten plus nine.
- a symbol for this number, as 19 or XIX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- amounting to nineteen in number.
- talk nineteen to the dozen, to talk very rapidly or vehemently: Whenever I'm excited I talk nineteen to the dozen.
Origin of nineteen
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nineteen
"My wife and I have been married for nineteen years," says Palmer, mulling the stress-fracture in his family life.
Here I am, played here for nineteen years, I'm the one who stayed.
He is getting ready to watch Jack Morris, the Tigers ace, go for win number nineteen against the Toronto Blue Jays.Elmore Leonard’s Rocky Road to Fame and Fortune
September 13, 2014
He had been decorated for bravery nineteen times in his twenty-one-year career.The Resilient City: New York After 9/11
September 11, 2014
I tell myself not to feel bad because my life expectancy is eighty-six, which means I have nineteen more years of life.Diane Keaton Refuses to Give In to Aging
May 19, 2014
The House divided and the government were left in a minority of nineteen.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
But they did accomplish the journey, and that in nineteen days.In the Valley
The nurses of this hospital are all young,—ranging, say, from nineteen to four and twenty.The Uncommercial Traveller
He was not without hopes of pleasing—what young man of nineteen or twenty is?Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10)
This broad pledge was so well kept that at the age of nineteen he was made a partner.Cleveland Past and Present
- the cardinal number that is the sum of ten and nine and is a prime numberSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 19, XIX, etc, representing this number
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 19 units
- talk nineteen to the dozen to talk incessantly
- amounting to nineteennineteen pictures
- (as pronoun)only nineteen voted
Old English nigontīne
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nineteen
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper