- the act of allying or state of being allied.
- a formal agreement or treaty between two or more nations to cooperate for specific purposes.
- a merging of efforts or interests by persons, families, states, or organizations: an alliance between church and state.
- the persons or entities so allied.
- marriage or the relationship created by marriage between the families of the spouses.
- correspondence in basic characteristics; affinity: the alliance between logic and metaphysics.
Origin of alliance
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- the act of allying or state of being allied; union; confederation
- a formal agreement or pact, esp a military one, between two or more countries to achieve a particular aim
- the countries involved in such an agreement
- a union between families through marriage
- affinity or correspondence in qualities or characteristics
- botany a taxonomic category consisting of a group of related families; subclass
- the Alliancethe Social Democratic Party and the Liberal Party acting or regarded as a political entity from 1981 to 1988
- (as modifier)an Alliance candidate
Word Origin and History for non-alliance
c.1300, "bond of marriage" (between ruling houses or noble families), from Old French aliance (12c., Modern French alliance) "alliance, bond; marriage, union," from aliier (Modern French allier) "combine, unite" (see ally (v.)). As a bond or treaty between rulers, late 14c.