- Older Use. a person who suffers from tuberculosis.
Origin of consumptive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- causing consumption; wasteful; destructive
- pathol relating to or affected with consumption, esp tuberculosis of the lungs
- pathol a person who suffers from consumption
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-consumptive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or afflicted with consumption.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.