- lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.
- lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.
- anything short-lived, as certain insects.
Origin of ephemeral
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. fleeting, evanescent, transient, momentary, brief.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- lasting for only a short time; transitory; short-livedephemeral pleasure
- a short-lived organism, such as the mayfly
- a plant that completes its life cycle in less than one year, usually less than six months
C16: from Greek ephēmeros lasting only a day, from hēmera day
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-ephemeral
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper