- the branch of literature comprising works of narrative prose dealing with or offering opinions or conjectures upon facts and reality, including biography, history, and the essay (opposed to fiction and distinguished from poetry and drama).
- works of this class: She had read all of his novels but none of his nonfiction.
- (especially in cataloging books, as in a library or bookstore) all writing or books not fiction, poetry, or drama, including nonfictive narrative prose and reference works; the broadest category of written works.
Origin of nonfiction
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-fiction
His non-fiction fills, or helps to fill, the void left by Foster Wallace.Charles D’Ambrosio’s X-Ray Vision Is On Full Display In His New Essay Collection.
November 14, 2014
Orlean taught us to look and listen, while Wheeler explored how to use dialogue in non-fiction.Want to Write a Book? Go to Iceland
May 26, 2014
Non-fiction books are great because they provide you with a lot of interesting and often actionable knowledge.The Best Apps for Developing Sherlock Holmes-Like Reading Skills
March 25, 2014
And anyway, I try not to draw a dividing line between fiction and non-fiction.
I like to work on four or five books at a time —fiction, non-fiction, poetry.
Non-fiction books which are likely to remain in use for a longer period of years may need to be rebound and trimmed again.Library Bookbinding
Arthur Low Bailey
Do you stamp fiction and non-fiction on different parts of the same card?
Do you use the same colored ink for fiction and non-fiction?
Are fiction and non-fiction cards separated under the day's issue?
In the next lot, was placed about 15 per cent of non-fiction, carefully selected.
- writing dealing with facts and events rather than imaginative narration
- (modifier) relating to or denoting nonfiction
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-fiction
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper