- having a shiny or lustrous surface.
- having a false or deceptive appearance or air, especially of experience or sophistication; specious.
- slick1(def 9).
- a photograph printed on glossy paper.
Origin of glossy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. shining, polished, glazed.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- smooth and shiny; lustrous
- superficially attractive; plausible
- (of a magazine) lavishly produced on shiny paper and usually with many colour photographs
- Also called (US): slick an expensively produced magazine, typically a sophisticated fashion or glamour magazine, printed on shiny paper and containing high quality colour photographyCompare pulp (def. 3)
- a photograph printed on paper that has a smooth shiny surface
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-glossy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper