- the property or characteristic that produces unequal physical effects at different points in a body or system, as a magnet or storage battery.
- the positive or negative state in which a body reacts to a magnetic, electric, or other field.
- the presence or manifestation of two opposite or contrasting principles or tendencies.
- (of words, phrases, or sentences) positive or negative character.
- polar opposition.
Origin of polarity
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-polarity
He therefore subsequently abandoned it, and maintained the non-polarity of the diamagnetic force.Faraday As A Discoverer
- the condition of having poles
- the condition of a body or system in which it has opposing physical properties at different points, esp magnetic poles or electric charge
- the particular state of a part of a body or system that has polarityan electrode with positive polarity
- the state of having or expressing two directly opposite tendencies, opinions, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-polarity
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The property of having two opposite poles, such as those possessed by a magnet, or of having opposite properties or characteristics.
- The direction or orientation of positivity relative to negativity.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The condition of having poles or being aligned with or directed toward poles, especially magnetic or electric poles.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.