- providing or serving for the time being only; existing only until permanently or properly replaced; temporary: a provisional government.
- accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary.
- (usually initial capital letter) of or being the wing of the Irish Republican Army that follows a policy of violence.
- Philately. a stamp that serves temporarily, pending the appearance of the regular issue, or during a temporary shortage of the regular stamps.
- a provisional member of a group.
- (usually initial capital letter) a member of the Provisional wing of the Irish Republican Army.
Origin of provisional
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, designating, or relating to the unofficial factions of the IRA and Sinn Féin that became increasingly dominant following a split in 1969. The Provisional movement remained committed to a policy of terrorism until its ceasefires of the mid-1990s
- Also called: Provo a member of the Provisional IRA or Sinn Féin
less commonly provisionary (prəˈvɪʒənərɪ)
- subject to later alteration; temporary or conditionala provisional decision
- a postage stamp surcharged during an emergency to alter the stamp's denomination or significance until a new or regular issue is printed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-provisional
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper