[sfer-i-kuh l, sfeer-]
- having the form of a sphere; globular.
- formed in or on a sphere, as a figure.
- of or relating to a sphere or spheres.
- pertaining to the heavenly bodies, or to their supposed revolving spheres or shells.
- pertaining to the heavenly bodies regarded astrologically as exerting influence on humankind and events.
Origin of spherical
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-spherical
Both disturbances result from the attraction of the moon on the non-spherical earth—on its protuberant equator.Pioneers of Science
- shaped like a sphere
- of or relating to a spherespherical geometry
- geometry formed on the surface of or inside a spherea spherical triangle
- of or relating to heavenly bodies
- of or relating to the spheres of the Ptolemaic or the Copernican system
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-spherical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having the shape of or approximating a sphere; globular.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.