- an adherent of utilitarianism.
Origin of utilitarian
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. practical, useful, functional, sensible.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to utilitarianism
- designed for use rather than beauty
- a person who believes in utilitarianism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-utilitarian
1781, coined by Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832) from utility. One guided by the doctrine of the greatest happiness for the greatest number.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper