- a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.
Origin of vegetarian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-vegetarian
Vegetarians also frequently stay with non-vegetarian friends, or lodge with others who do not understand how to provide for them.The Allinson Vegetarian Cookery Book
Thomas R. Allinson
- a person who advocates or practises vegetarianism
- relating to, advocating, or practising vegetarianism
- cookery strictly, consisting of vegetables and fruit only, but usually including milk, cheese, eggs, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-vegetarian
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- One who practices vegetarianism.
- Of or relating to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
- Consisting primarily or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.